June 4, 2017

USA TOUR - 4th of July in Washington, D.C.


Hello there! 

Celebrating 4th of July in the Capital.
So it is known that the 4th of July is a big event in the US. It's the day that the US gained independence in 1776 and up until now it's being celebrated throughout the whole country. Parades, fireworks and a lot of patriotism. Spending this day in the capital of the US is obviously very special, even though they say that the one city that is more impressive on this day is New York City, the unofficial capital of the US (and trust me, there are a ton of people outside of the US who believe that it is the actual capital).
So if you've read my Spring break post, you've already seen some of the things that I saw and did in Washington, D.C. when I went there with one of my host families. It was really cool and interesting back then as well, but this time was completely different. First of all I was with a group of friends this time, we could choose where we wanted to go and what we did, while the other time I had to stick with the plans of my host family, which was totally fine but still different. The second thing that was different was obviously the fact that it was 4th of July. However I kind of expected the whole city to be decorated and everyone to be dressed in the American colors. Of course we, the tourists that we were, dressed appropriately in red, blue and white. But I think the reason for that was the fact that Washington, D.C. is more of a political and sophisticated kind of city (at least that was my impression from what I've seen). So there was a big parade and a great firework display at the Washington Monument but apart from that there wasn't an excessive amount of American flags and so on. It's probably just different in every city but I do believe that in other cities there are definitely people who become really patriotic on the 4th of July.
Before the parade started however, it was raining sooo much. It wasn't cold at all, it was just pouring down. But that did not stop us from wanting to explore the city and find the Albert Einstein statue, so we went ahead and bought ourselves some 3 dollar ponchos, which was SO worth it! Those ponchos were awesome. We still got wet (especially our shoes were drenched) but fortunately the rain stopped just in time for the parade and the fireworks.











 




Next up is my favorite city of all! Stay tuned!

Bye 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments make my day! :)